Monday, January 30, 2012

Girl Ghost Hunters

I’ve noticed something a little weird in several years of ghost hunting (and not ghostly weird. Normal weird.) There just aren’t a lot of female ghost hunters out there. When I go out with my group, I’m usually the only girl. Once in awhile I’ll talk one of my female friends to go along, but most of the time it’s just me and the guys. While it’s not necessarily a bad thing, it seems odd to me. Most of the ghost hunting groups I’m familiar with are at least 90% male. I’m not really sure why. It’s something that I’ve been trying to figure out.

There are a lot of technical aspects of ghost hunting, and some girls get intimidated by using high-tech equipment, but I’m not sure that’s enough to scare a lot of women off. It’s also possible that males are more open-minded about the possibility of the paranormal, but I also know plenty of females who believe in ghosts. Maybe it’s just that ghost hunting groups in general are run by men, and men tend to invite other men ghost hunting. Or maybe it’s just something people view as a ‘guy’ thing.

Honestly, I have no idea why there are so few ghost hunting girls around, but I’d love to see more of a balance in the future.

Do you have any theories on why there aren’t many girl ghost hunters? Do you think it’s a bad thing?

3 comments:

  1. The group I used to go with (used to meet up regularly then life just kinda got in the way for everyone...) was a mixture, but then we were a small group and most were partners.

    If I lived in Ohio I'd deffinitely be with you to show a bit of girl power...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girls prefer intimacy. They like to do activities that either set them up for intimate situations (shopping for nice clothes, reading romance novels, going to coffee shops that are swanky for poetry reading and music) or that straight out plunge them into intimate situations and a shared experience (hand holding in the park, nature, plays,) etc. The act of doing actual technical work which takes the focus off of them and puts it on a project is probably not as appealing. Ghost hunting means that no attention will be on them. So it probably isn't as appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DRC, too bad you're not local, I can use all the girl power I can find! :)

    Michael, you make some interesting points. Girls do tend to like intimate activities, so maybe it is a factor.

    ReplyDelete