Monday, April 30, 2012

Cold Spots

When I woke up this morning I was cold. I wrapped up in my blanket and realized that I’ve never really talked about cold spots on my blog.

Cold spots (in the paranormal community) is basically the idea that a ghost, or spirit can drop the temperature of a room or space. (I blame The Sixth Sense.) Often ghost hunters take note of strange temperature fluctuations and document them to see if there is any correlation between temp changes and other paranormal occurrences.

 The general belief is also that ghosts tend to run cold, and will usually make the space around them colder. It’s also fairly natural to feel chilled when something unusual happens. (Any science people out there have an explanation for this one?)

As much as I would like to believe spirits are trying to communicate this way, I haven’t seen any evidence to support this theory. The truth is, most old buildings are cold. They weren’t insulated the way modern buildings are. You can walk into a very old building when it’s eighty degrees out and it’s almost always going to around sixty inside, unless the whole building has undergone major renovations. Old buildings are also drafty. It’s not unusual to walk into a room and have a thirty degrees temp change. It’s just the way things are.

My ghost hunting team still monitors the temperature on many of out ghost hunts, mostly out of curiosity. But it’s going to take a lot more hard evidence for me to believe that ghosts are responsible for temperature changes.

Do you think ghosts can/do manipulate the temp of a room/building?

3 comments:

  1. It's a trope used in many horror movies/television shows too. It's good because you can see people's breath and instantly know that the temperature has plummeted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold spots - spooky. Oh BTW Alyson do ignore my reply to your post on by blog. You've changed your picture and your last name has appeared which made me (foolishly) think you were another Alyson, as opposed to you - I know you often drop by, through boredom or whatever and always appreciate your visits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have ever heard of an ACTUAL team hitting a spot so cold they would actually have fogged breath.

    I have heard the reason you hit a cold spot is the ghost is trying to draw the energy to manefest itself somehow. The heat is a ready energy source. I, however, have never had the pleasure of discussing this with a spirit so it may be incorrect.

    ReplyDelete