Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Weekly News Round-up 3/16/11

A reserve deputy in El Paso lost his job because of his hobby- paranormal investigation. Westword.com has the article here.

5 women in Japan were facing charges for charging exorbitant fees for services such as exorcisms. This article ran prior to the earthquake, so I'm not sure if anything will come of it, but I wanted to remind people that credible paranormal groups don't charge for their services. The Mainichi Daily news has the story here. My heart is with everyone in Japan right now.

Just a reminder that submissions for the writing contest are due on April 1st. You can find the details here.

3 comments:

  1. I don't understand how there can be an exorbitant fee to an exorcism. I would think that this would be subjective to what you believe. If you are atheist, then any money is exorbitant. If you believe strongly in these supernatural forces, then you should pony up a lot of money because it's what you believe in. Hmmm...I definitely think there's a sliding scale here is all I'm saying. I don't think that anyone has the right to come in and declare a fee exorbitant as it relies so much on the one that is purchasing the services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are charlatans in every walk of life, my heart goes out to the poor people of Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it depends on if you think religious services justify payment. I was raised that religions that require you to give money are usually not trust worthy but there are quite a few out there that do, so not everyone agrees. I'm also not familiar enough with the law in Japan to understand how they regulate business practices.

    Ryan, I think it's really up to the consumers to educate themselves about what they are paying for. Unfortunately most of them don't.

    ReplyDelete