Monday, January 17, 2011

What's in a Dream?





Last week I had a dream, which isn’t unusual for me. What was unusual was the violent nature of the dream and the fact that it was incredibly vivid. My normal dreams are pretty pleasant. Clouds. Puppies. This dream did not have clouds or puppies.

In this dream I watched a masked man rob a Dollar store at knife point. I watched the scared employees react in fear to the man and eventually call the police. When I woke up I felt a little unsettled but then went on without giving it much thought. Until a couple days later.

I was flipping through a newspaper and came across the headline “Dollar Store Robbed.” As soon as I saw it I knew what the story was going to say. Sure enough, a man wearing a ski mask has robbed a local dollar store. With a knife.

I’ve never had a dream that felt like a premonition before. I’ve had a few déjà vu moments before but nothing majorly weird. Now it’s got me wondering if dreams showing the future are a possibility.

Dreams are weird things. They are full of mystery and confusion and the more we study them, the more it seems like we don’t understand them at all. So, in an attempt to understand them a little better, I’ve decided to start keeping an online dream journal. If you’re interested in checking it out you can find it here, though it will probably be fairly boring to read most of the time. But if I have anymore weird dream coincidences, I’ll be able to keep some sort of record of it. And if anyone else wants to keep an online dream journal and share it on here, be sure to let me know and I’ll post the link. Maybe we can learn something together!

So now I want to know if you (or someone you know) has ever had a dream come true. And not in the ‘magical Disney’ kind of way but in the ‘hey that actually happened’ way. Leave your answer in the comments, or e-mail me with your story. I’m looking forward to hearing from you!

7 comments:

  1. My dreams are usually amalgams of movies/TV shows I've been watching, books I've been reading, and projects I've been working on. Last week, I had one that mixed SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Andromeda, and DS9. It was more Science Fiction than usual, but it was just as elaborate and strange as most of my dreams are.

    I can't remember having any dreams that would count as premonitions, but I do get a lot of deja vu. My mom has them all the time, though.

    Good luck with your dream journal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a dream like that, it is really creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B.H. Morrigan,
    A lot of my dreams are bits of tv shows,movies and books as well. Random fictional characters love to shoe up in them. Thanks for the well wishes!

    Diana,
    It is a bit creepy. It's a very strange feeling to have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't dream/remember my dreams often and when I do, they are too weird to come true, because there isn't really a coherent story to follow. My dreams are very abstract and out of the box. So, no interesting story :S They are interesting for me to remember though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gemma,
    My abstract dreams are the ones I usually remember the most, just because they are so strange. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have definitely had dreams that foretold future events. Nothing like yours, mainly things like hearing a song I hadn't heard in a while or seeing someone I hadn't seen in years. There is a recurring dream I have about a porcupine that keeps attacking and poking me and I try to wake up but I can't. I also had a vivid and upsetting dream that my sister was attacked and killed by an alligator. I woke up crying and since then I've been terrified of alligators and crocodiles. I'm surprised I looked at the picture of the orange alligator that you posted earlier this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nico, your dreams sound kind of scary! If my dreams were like yours I think I would be afraid to go to sleep. Thanks for sharing your stories!

    ReplyDelete