Astral projection is one of those things that’s always sounded kind of bizarre to me. If you aren’t familiar with the concept, it’s basically the ability to let the mind (or soul according to some people) leave the body and travel around. Sort of like a realistic dream where the person has complete control over what’s happening. Even though it sounds like something out of a strange sci-fi movie I though it might be a fun topic to post about. So I did some online research to see if 1. if it’s actually possible and 2. if I could do it.
First I had to figure out how to astral project. I actually had no idea how it was done but quickly discovered a wealth of information all over the internet. Here’s my version of how to astral project based on the sites I read. You can check out the links at the bottom of this article if you want more detail or want to learn more about this.
Steps to astral projection
- Relax. Most people attempt to astral project before they fall asleep. Make yourself comfortable and stay in a controlled environment. Some people suggest listening to relaxing music while others insist silence is crucial. I think it just depends on what works for the individual.
- Meditate. Meditation and controlled breathing are important in getting to the point where astral projection is possible. Try and block any outside thoughts from sneaking into your head. Clear your mind and focus on what you’re doing.
- Affirmations. Say some sort of affirmation to yourself explaining what you are trying to do. Something along the lines of ‘I’m going to leave my body’ or ‘I’m going to look at myself sleeping.’ It’s also recommended to tell yourself to remember everything that happens.
- Visual Exercise. Do some sort of visual exercise to leave your body. One suggestion is to pretend a rope is hanging above you. Then proceed to attempt to pull yourself out of your body by pulling on the rope (with your mind not your physical body.) Another technique is to try and visualize yourself floating out of your body. Or try and roll out of your body using just your mind.
- Vibrate. Enter what’s known as the vibration stage. If you are doing the exercises correctly you should eventually begin to feel your body tingling or vibrating. It’s a sign you are close to achieving astral projecting.
- Projection. This is the point where you leave the body and are free to travel through the dream world.
It’s also apparent from what I read that this is something that takes quite a bit of practice to achieve.
Here’s what happened when I tried.
The first night I got to step 4. I used the rope exercise to attempt to get out. I also tried rolling out as well. I wasn’t successful but I did end up being more relaxed and slept better than normal.
The second night I used a combination of the rope exercise and the floating out of the body thing. I actually managed to get to the ‘vibration’ state. It actually surprised me because I wasn’t really convinced it was a real thing. It’s a similar to the feeling you get when your foot falls asleep except it occurs throughout multiple limbs (or the entire body) simultaneously . I have to admit it scared my a little when it happened. I didn’t manage to ‘get out’ but I did get another good night’s sleep from the experience.
So I haven’t been able to do it so far. I can’t say if it’s real but a lot of people claim to do it. Maybe it’s a possibility. I think I’m going to keep trying. It’s kind of fun and it seems to be helping me sleep (I have insomnia so that’s a big deal.) And maybe one day I’ll get to experience it.
Here are a few of the sites on astral projection
Have any of you tried to astral project? Has anyone been able to do it? I’d love to hear some stories about it.